Sunday, December 18, 2011

Bethany Kids Christmas Party

On Friday we had the privilege of hosting the Bethany Kids at Kijabe Hospital staff members in our home for a Christmas luncheon.  I was unsure about what to serve so Erik and I decided to do a "Christmas Around the World" theme and serve a little bit of everything.  We had lasagna, enchiladas, cashew chicken, spring rolls, sweet and sour meatballs and Kenyan favorites such as chapatis and beef stew.   I was a little nervous that our Kenyan guests would only eat the Kenyan food and would not try the food from other countries, but I was pleasantly surprised that they did eat the other foods.  I'm sure some ate them just to be polite, but many seemed to actually enjoy the enchiladas and lasagna.

We had 60-70 guests and it was a wonderful time.  There was singing, a gift exchange and true to Kenyan tradition, several people gave speeches.  It was a pleasure for me to be able to meet many of Erik's coworkers that I previously only knew by name.  We are so thankful for these people and the way they minister to the sick children and we are blessed to come alongside them in their service.









One of the highlights for me was watching these three men try the desserts.  We served apple pie, Texas Sheet Cake and ice cream.  They were a little hesitant to try the ice cream and the apple pie so they decided they would all try it at the same time.  The ice cream was too sweet (I can't blame them - I'm not a big fan of the ice cream in Kenya either), but the apple pie got good reviews!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Really? That is awesome that you made some American types of food. I love reading about the blessing that your family is being to others so far away from here. My favorite was seeing that they were hesitant to try the ice cream and apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing adventure for which your family has chosen to follow God. I am so glad to have found your blog; as we seem to have the same passions. I can't wait to follow you guys (from Texas!). :)

    ReplyDelete